Sunday 14 October 2012

Post via Ipad

Don't get excited... It's a borrowed iPad, we don't have that kinda money - I just had to get a post out there before I went crazy from withdrawal!
I also wanted to see how easy it was to use to post with this thing... Typing seems O.K. so I'm in business!
This quick post goes out to those who are in potty training battle....

The Potty Training Games

I started potty training OJ in August, for two amazing weeks he had it cracked. No accidents and no reminders to use the potty. He took it in his stride. I couldn't believe my luck... and I was right to be suspicious of it! It has since been a huge struggle and a battle of wills. I've tried various reward systems but it continues to be unsuccessful with OJ seeming to choose if he uses it or not..
Yesterday, I could feel that my fuse was getting shorter. I was on shaky ground. After OJ proudly told me that he had wet his training pants again in the space of half an hour (and after asking him every 5 minutes if he needed to use the potty) I finally snapped. Whilst changing him, I asked him how weeing in his pants made him feel, expecting him to offer some remorse for his actions. He looked at me thoughtfully and replied: "soggy"

Well, I couldn't help but laugh which relieved all the tension.

It got me thinking as to why I have put so much pressure on myself to get OJ past this milestone. Why am I so intent on making him grow up so quick? Maybe on some level I thought people would judge me if I hadn't got my son out of nappies. In wanting to support OJ with this learning experience, I have only succeeded in stressing us all out. Time for a change of plan.

OJ has had his fair amount of change to contend with, with me going back to work and being expected to be a "big boy". I have caught our little lads' behaviour regressing in other areas too. Such as wanting to crawl about, wanting his dummy (when he has only had the thing at night since forever) and wanting to climb back into his high chair. He is in his own battle of dependence and independent. It may even be a spot of jealousy of his little brother.

Whatever it is, I think we are going to have to go at OJ's pace and hope for the best. He is supposed to be starting pre-school soon so I am a little concerned about what other parents and staff are going to think. But whatever. As long as OJ is happy, he will come around in his own time.

I just wanted to pass this experience on to others and, if you and your tot are going through potty training - hang on in there!


No comments:

Post a Comment