Wednesday 16 May 2012

Distracting Distractions


That's it.
NO MORE ANGRY BIRDS
I think I have really come off track in the last couple of days.

The idea is that I put the kids to bed and then I work on my blog and/or my writing projects. Typing letters to agents/publishers, writing up drafts, developing story ideas etc.

So I switch on the computer and what happens?

I open a tab or two and find myself being sucked in by the other glittery distractions of the net.

Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, the general blogshere... and...(I'm ashamed to say) my newest time wasting activity: Angry Birds.

Distracted

Just lately things have suffered. Everywhere I look there are projects unfinished, such as my current read is left unread (I really want to get through this one as The Hunger Games is next on the list!), half finished picture book ideas, a writing competition deadline looming and no typed version etc... The list goes on.

I start off meaning well. For example, I might have an idea for a post and I start writing. But then I decide that a link or picture would benefit the piece so then I go look-sies on google. Somehow this innocent little thought turns into "I'll just check this...Ooh I wonder if... I'll see if such-and-such has a new post on their blog, and: I'm soooooooo gonna smash my best score..."

It's a horrible feeling when I finally give up in the early hours of the morning, only to discover that I've made very little progress in anything.
If you have slogged for hours, you wanna see a result right?!


Getting Focused

Of course, we all get distracted from time to time. Everyone needs to kick back/take a break once in awhile, but this latest cycle of time wasting has been happening for over a week.. Or more... I think??  Like I said; I've lost track!

Writing means developing good writing habits; such as a writing schedule that is stuck to as much as possible: discipline and focus are also required. Sounds more like martial arts...


Time for this writer to shape up and get focused
So tonight, I'm taking a stand. After I post this, I am shutting down and getting some kip. (Well, actually I am getting a hot chocolate with extra marshmallows then I will be getting some kip but that's just details!)

Tomorrow, when I boot up the old faithful here, I will not switch on the Internet and I will get the most current project up and running. May be then, just maybe, I won't be tempted too sneak off and see what else is going on out here!


mug full of hot chocolate with mini marshmallows and spoon
you can never have too many marshmallows

What distractions throw you off track and how do you get back on it?!

2 comments:

  1. Angry birds is my latest too. I just added the app on my phone. It's good for something to do when I'm sitting with the kids at night while they're going to sleep. As long as I can stop myself from playing once they're asleep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's the problem with these addictive games... You think: just one more level!
      I must be the only person left who doesn't have a smart phone, but my hubby does. I play on that, it was his fault that I started playing it in the first place... Then I found it on Facebook.. And so it continues!

      Delete