Wednesday 23 May 2012

Following On From : Tell Me Something Tuesday


Thank you to all who responded to my post "Tell Me Something Tuesday". From you response, it became apparent that the Discworld has not been discovered by some...

*SHOCK*

So help is on hand people, I will share my favourite Discworld novel in hopes to make finding a beginning easier.

You really need to start here:


The 1st Discword Novel



The Blurb:

"...On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle (sex unknown), a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, dragons who can only exist if you believe in them, and of course THE EDGE of the planet..."

I was handed this by a friend when I was in secondary school. At the time I was a Point Horror fan; so when a fantasy novel was shoved under my nose I took it out of politeness and it stayed on my shelf for a while. *Shame on me*

I looked at the cover and thought:

"I really don't think I'm gonna get this..."

Then I read that the world was a disc on the back of four elephants on the back of a giant turtle drifting through space  and again I thought:

"I really don't think I'm gonna get this..."

But when curiosity finally got the better of me, and I started reading... I. Was. Hooked. I couldn't put it down and of course its lead to reading more of the series. (And many re-readings of The Colour Of Magic)
Terry Pratchett, to put it simply, is a story-telling genius. What I love about his work, is that it's so well done that you can visualise all the places and the characters who inhabit it. This makes dipping in and out of the novels easy.He takes everyday  things and gives it a Discworld twits. One example that just pops up in the mind, is a camera... Well on the Discworld it's a box with an imp inside who can paint pictures at speed...

The story-telling genius


Two of my other favourites titles in the series are:

and

If you like these, you might want to try:
 
 ... (even more Discworld fun about a clan of Nac MacFeegles... enough said!)


If you do get a chance to read The Colour of Magic, please let me know if you enjoyed it. Even if it wasn't your thing, I would still be very interested.

Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment