Saturday 25 August 2012

REVIEW:

Masquerade
~
Cambria Hebert
 
 
 
 
(Via Goodreads)
 
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
 
ebook, 392 pages
Published December 16th 2011 by Otherworld Publications (first published December 7th 2011)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Heven
Before. Everything was so much better Before. I wasn’t haunted by nightmares, my place at school was secure and my face was flawless. Now, I’m a freak and everything has changed. The worst part is that I can’t remember the night I was sentenced to the shadows. The memory has been stolen from me and I just can’t shake the feeling that someone, something is out there -watching.

Just when I think I have my life handled, Sam, with his intimidating golden stare and shiver inducing voice, makes me realise that I don’t know anything. He makes me see that my scars don’t matter. That they never mattered. I can’t help but fall for him, completely unknowing that he knows exactly how I got this way. Not knowing he was involved.

***
Sam
Heven has no idea how closely death stalks her. She has no idea what I have done to keep her alive. I fear the day she learns my secrets, finds out what I really am. But even then I cannot stop, I vow to make things right. Finally her hunter will be hunted, Heaven and Hell, faith and sin will battle, and we will be victorious. But first, Heven must learn to be what she never imagined. I know her strength is there – I feel it. If we are to overcome all odds, she must push past her flaws - her frailties - to become much more.

 
 
Review
 
I really enjoyed Masquerade. If I am honest I don't tend to read a lot of this genre; but this book has probably opened that gate a little wider for me.
I had this perception of the genre being predictable, lovey-mush but Masquerade has totally smashed that entire perception.
I was instantly drawn in, could form connections with the characters and couldn't put it down!

The story first introduces us to popular and beautiful Heven. But things change one night when she is attacked and left with scars to her face. She recedes into herself and things can never be like before... She needs to discover what and why things have happened to her... evil is right behind her. Cue gorgeous, husky voiced and protective Sam. (I'm not a fan of "gooey", but Sam is dreamy!) The couple get together despite Hevens low self-esteem; but there is more to Sam than meets the eye. If Heven was to discover the truth; it may mean the end of the romance.

I was swaying between a four and five star rating for a little while; I settled on a four star based on the the fact I felt there was a fair bit of descriptive repetition (and eye rolling) in romantic scenes between the main characters.

However, I felt the writing was strong and the story captivated my interest and imagination. I very much liked the ideas running through the story. The pace was a little slow in places, but I thought that bases were covered in characters backgrounds (something which I like stories; especially if I care about the characters).

The voice of both main characters was strong and believable. I really liked how the story was told from both of their prospectives. I thought it was well thought out and ran smoothly.
All the charcters seems to be very well developed, in role and in voice. Heven best friend Kimber was one to watch during the story. I started off liking her.. but little snippets of her character kept me re-thinking my evaluation of her. In some respects I could totally see where she was coming from but there were other points were I disliked her. (Can't give much more away I'm afraid!) I especially loved Heven's Grandmother; and her mother shocked me... All done very well!

There is plenty of plot twist to keep the pages turning. There were points where I believed I knew what was coming next, only to be delighted with Cambria's twist and new direction.The end of the story demands that you find out what happens next.
 
I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys YA paranormal-romance.
 
PS.
I have now downloaded next book; Charade... ;0)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment